As the weather creeps into the triple digits, it’s not uncommon for employees at your Phoenix office space to get a little restless and stir crazy. Accompanying the heat, the summer months can bring plans of family vacations, pool days, weekend get-together, and a general lazy lull that sweeps over the office like a fog. During this time, your employees may often focus more of their attention on upcoming plans or daydreaming instead of work.
Unfortunately, most businesses don’t take a summer break so a lapse in productivity can affect your company’s bottom line. Here are a few tips to help combat a distracted Phoenix commercial office space and keep your small business productive over the summer:
1. Plan and organize: Making it through the summer will take careful planning and organization. If you have an urgent deadline or important meeting, try to avoid scheduling it for the day after Independence Day. Organize your important projects and allot extra time to account for employee vacations and any unplanned personal days.
2. Flexible hours: Offer flexible summer hours for your employees. Some are more productive in the early morning but start to lose steam midday, while others may prefer to sleep in but stay in the office until later. Another effective summer schedule option is to allow employees to work four 10-hour days Monday through Thursday, instead of the standard five 8-hour days. Having this flexibility will encourage your staff to work around their plans instead of simply taking the days off.
3. Allow breaks to refocus: It can be difficult to focus on work when you’re mentally checked out and already on vacation. Allow your employees to take a break to reset and refocus their mind, and get back to their work at hand.
4. Keep the AC crankin’: It’s inevitable. Every Phoenix office space is bound to get toasty, especially in the middle of summer. Don’t be afraid to turn on the air conditioning to make sure the office is cool and comfortable, a place where people actually want to be.
5. Reward productivity: If employees meet their deadlines and prove they’re productive during the week, give them half-days or Fridays off as a reward. This will ensure they stay on task and focused while they’re in the office so they can look forward to a relaxing Friday.
6. Pump up the caffeine: If all else fails, play espresso shot roulette with your employees for a productivity pick-me-up. Coffee is a beneficial way to increase productivity, and it tastes delicious. Treat your office to some local cold brew or iced coffee, they’ll appreciate it and stay alert and focused.
How does your small business maintain productivity during the summer months? Tell us how by commenting on our LinkedIn page! If you have any questions regarding Phoenix commercial office spaces, direct them to Camroad Properties, and check out our blog for more tips and advice on office culture!
WRITTEN BY: Portia Dempsey